1. Racing in the Backdoor Shootout was definitely a highlight. Even though the buggy broke, and I didn’t finish the race, it was still a rush. And it was cool to see all the familiar rock bouncers racing with the Ultra4 cars!
2. I got to meet a ton of new people – drivers, spectators, media crews. It was great to get to know people from all over the world who love the sport of off-road racing just as much as we do here in the South.
3. Driving the Avenger in the desert, doing donuts in the sand dunes and flying across the lake bed was probably one of the most fun ways that we could have broken the Avenger in during its first real event.
4. Sunshine! It was so nice to trade out Tennessee’s gloomy weather for a little desert sun.
5. Normally I’m not behind the camera, so filming and photographing some of the action myself was a fun change (although who knows if the footage I got is any good!). Plus goofing off with Alisha and the camera around Hammertown was always entertaining.
6. Seeing Luke Wilson win the fastest time up the right side of Backdoor in the Shootout with his Oversize buggy was incredible. And watching Matt Myrick put on a show in the race too, while completely destroying his rental buggy!
7. NOT spending the week in a tent – yes, one of my highlights is the fact that we stayed in a camper, not a tent, in Hammertown! I like to think that I’m a pretty tough Southern girl, but the desert can be really harsh – I’m so glad we had a decent roof over our heads for our stay.
8. Watching our buddies CJ Bynum, Richie, and Bobby ALL THREE race Screaming Blue at the Backdoor Shootout – all of them made it, and the buggy was still in one piece at the end!
9. . Getting to know our “rock bouncing crew” even better – it was really cool to be able to spend more time with our friends from the South who also made the haul to KOH. Normally we are only together for a day or two at a time, so spending a whole week with them was great.
10. And, OF COURSE, being able to be part of Team Plowboy and cheer on Richie, Joe, and Bobby in their epic race. They poured so much into this event, and it was really cool to be able to see so much of it all firsthand – I’m proud of them and what they accomplished!